The honeymoon period is a favorite for many couples and they look forward to the seclusion and some alone time, after the flurry of wedding activities.
We know how important it is to gain a most memorable experience and it can be difficult to keep up with trends. This is why we’ve brought you the latest honeymoon trends for 2019 to keep you abreast of the latest.
Honeymoon has got a new name: “Achievement moon”.
You’ve heard the saying “kill two birds with a stone”? Seems couples are giving it a new meaning as they try to implement it in their honeymoon experience. I mean, why only achieve a honeymoon when you can also learn that skill you’ve been talking about, or tick that adventure off your bucket list. Whether it’s surmounting the Kilimanjaro or learning to dive, 2019 will see many more couples achieving more from their honeymoon than just sitting by the beach and taking pictures.
Destinations to Visit: Try Laikipia in Kenya, or the Kalamu walking safari in Zambia.
2. Eco Friendly Holidays
Seeing as the world is all about eco-friendliness and environmental sustainability these days, it should come as no surprise that honeymooners are incorporating this into their experience. If you want to join in this trend, you may choose to stay in hotels that give back to the local community around them, or join in on beach clean up activities as part of your romantic getaway. Very romantic, isn’t it?
Destination to try: The Thai island of Kho Phi Phi is home to an eco friendly resort that has won an award for World’s Best Sustainable Boutique Hotel – Zeavola resort. This would be a great place if this were your sort of thing: mixing pleasure with a little CSR.
3. Out of the way Destinations
As the numbers rise on couples tired of recycling the usual honeymoon destinations and seeking to explore fresh places and have new adventure stories to tell, going off to secluded and unexplored destinations is beginning to trend. Interesting accommodation choices are also making the list as couples take to tree houses, or accommodations under the sea or on hilltops.
Destinations to try:
– Manta Resort on Pemba Island, Zanzibar (A private floating island with underwater accommodation from which you can observe the aquatic life)
– Hotel Costa Verde, Costa Rica (You get to stay in an actual airplane transformed to a living space overlooking amazing views. Seems like a perfect tree house.)
– The Skylodge Adventure Suites, Urubamba Valley, Peru (if you fancy hiking and adventure and sleeping in a pod off the side of a cliff – The ultimate spaceship experience)
4. Road Trips or Cross-countries
Yes, you read right, road trips. Interestingly, more couples are opting for the road-trip option for their honeymoon as it allows them more flexibility of movement, and puts more destinations at their doorsteps. And who says you can’t make the best memories while on the move; after all, the honeymoon is as much about the journey as it is the destination. It’s also a great way to work with your budget while still making the most of your time. So, get your backpacks ready, it’s road trip time.
Destinations to try: Nigeria westward to Cote D’Ivoire (About a week)
– The Garden Route from Durban to Cape Town in South Africa (About 2 weeks)
– A Californian road-trip starting in LA and ending in Santa Barbara, stopping in Palm Springs, Yosemite National Park, the Napa Valley, San Francisco and Big Sur, amongst others (About 2 weeks)
– The East Coast of Africa all the way from Cairo to Cape Town (About 4 months)
5. Surprise Surprise
It seems that in addition to not having to deal with the stress of planning honeymoons and holidays, many couples don’t want to think about where to go either while some prefer to be surprised. Well, surprise honeymoon destinations are set to trend this year. If you are a couple looking to be surprised, try reaching out to “Pack UP + GO”, they’ll make all the plans and all you need to do is show up. The wait to find out your destination is part of the perks.
6. Mix and match
Can’t choose between an adventure honeymoon and a luxury one? Who says you have to! And guess what, you are not alone. This is another trend to be seen this year, as couples combine the niceties of luxury with the adrenaline rush of adventure.
Destinations to try:
– The hilltop palaces, historic temples, tea plantations and wildlife-packed national parks of Sri Lanka and the beautiful secluded islands of the Maldives.
– The fabled casinos, clubs, pool parties and shows of Vegas – including a visit to the Grand Canyon close by– before hitting the bliss islands of Hawaii, renowned for their plush forests and perfect beaches.
This has taken a while to catch on but it appears as though couples are finally seeing its benefits. So, as opposed to having a long stretch of honeymoon, couples are choosing to go on many different shorter holidays over a longer period of time. If you don’t have the luxury of a long stretch of time or you’d like to get so much more in, this would be an obvious choice.
There you have it, now go make yourself some beautiful memories.